Historic engraving of Wupperthal village and church in the valley, drawn by H.C. Knudsen around 1850
Since 1830

A mission built by the people who stayed

Wupperthal was founded in 1830, and it has been a working mission village — never a museum — ever since.

Founded1830, by the Rhenish Missionary Society
Founded byTheobald von Wurmb and Johann Gottlieb Leipoldt, two German missionaries
Named forThe Wupper river and valley in the German Rhineland, home of the missionaries
WhereThe Tra-Tra valley, 72–75 km southeast of Clanwilliam, about 250 km from Cape Town
Became Moravian1965
Settled byKhoi families first, then freed slaves after 1838
The churchThe whitewashed mission church dates from the 1830s

How the village began

Two German missionaries of the Rhenish Missionary Society — Theobald von Wurmb and Johann Gottlieb Leipoldt — founded Wupperthal in 1830, in the isolated Tra-Tra valley, and named it for the Wupper, the river back home in the Rhineland. Seven Khoi families settled first; freed slaves followed after emancipation in 1838. Together they farmed the valley floor, made shoes and hats, and built the whitewashed, thatch-roofed cottages in rows against the mountain — the village you still see today. In 1965 the mission passed to the Moravian Church.

Wupperthal village and church in the valley, engraving by H.C. Knudsen, around 1850
Wupperthal, drawn by H.C. Knudsen, around 1850. Public domain.

Making things by hand

From the start Wupperthal was a village of trades — carpentry, hat-making, gardening, and above all shoemaking. Its shoe factory, founded in 1836 (some sources say 1834), is the oldest in South Africa, and it was the first commercial maker of the veldskoen. For nearly a century its hand-sewn vellies were known across the country for comfort and craftsmanship. A tannery and a glove factory ran here for many years too, and the village still dries and rolls its own tobacco into roltabak, alongside rooibos, dried fruit and dried beans.

Rooibos & vellies ›

The village today

Wupperthal is still a working mission village of roughly 700 people, laid out along one winding street with water running in furrows beside it. Around that street: the thatched Moravian church, a grocery store and tea room, a post office, a school with two hostels, and a community hall. Families live off small-scale farming and livestock; the cash crop is rooibos, and the mountains above are grazed by goats.

The gravel main street of Wupperthal, lined with whitewashed thatched cottages, mountains at the end of the valley
The main street today — whitewashed, thatched, and rebuilt. Photo BusinessTech, 2026.

Die Werf — the communal heart

The old communal yard known as Die Werf holds the community hall, the school hostel, the butchery, a guesthouse, a rooibos cosmetics shop, the Louis Leipoldt Museum, the parsonage, and the Mission Store. That store began as the village's second school — a three-room rectangular building, probably put up in the late 1830s — which makes it one of the oldest buildings still standing. Today it houses Lekkerbekkie, the village restaurant and tea room.

Heritage plaque on the Wupperthal Mission Store explaining, in English and Afrikaans, that it was originally the village's second school
The plaque on the Mission Store, in English and Afrikaans. Photo BusinessTech, 2026.
Die Werf & Lekkerbekkie ›

The 2018 fire, and the rebuild

In December 2018 a fire swept through the historic centre and destroyed some 52 buildings, Lekkerbekkie and much of Die Werf among them. Rather than let the village fade, the community — with the Cape Institute for Architecture — rebuilt it, cottage by cottage, in clay brick and poplar beams, with attention to the heritage detail. Die Werf was back up in a little under 18 months. It's the same story the village has always told: the people who stayed, building it again.

The rebuilt Die Werf at Wupperthal: long whitewashed thatched buildings around an open sand yard
Die Werf, rebuilt. Photo BusinessTech, 2026.

Sources: see the full reading list — Wikipedia; South African History Online; The Heritage Portal; Daily Maverick; Getaway; Tourism Update; BusinessTech (2026); West Coast District Municipality. Some dates (such as the exact year the church was consecrated, and whether the shoe factory dates from 1834 or 1836) vary between sources and are hedged here. One widely-read article gives 1865 for the handover to the Moravian Church; the date used here, 1965, is the one carried by Wikipedia and SAHO.

Last updated July 2026